Saturday, April 28, 2012

Heavenly harmony

I love our choir conductor: he has perfected the art of murmuring inoffensive sarcasm. We're singing Haydn's "Missa Cellensis" (which is not easy) and Handel's "Ode for St Cecilia's Day". Three of his recent asides:

I'm encouraged by the look of faint recognition on your faces as you sang that. [Our concert is in two weeks... .]
This is easy because it's in unison. [Pause] It didn't actually sound like it.
This is a hard bit. If you're - you know - game to have a go but not sure of what you're singing - [sorrowful shake of the head] - don't.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I can see why you love him, Isabelle! Especially the first comment. Good luck and many prayers go with you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet he's a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your choir conductor too....love that brand of sorrowful sarcasm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nothing like that young Beacon Of Positive Thinking on the telly , then !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love teachers like that! Positive affirmation only goes so far...sometimes you really have to hear the truth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love funny people, especially the ones with a good sense of snark.

    BTW, that was one of my favorite movies... "Driving Missa Cellensis".

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How funny, bet he makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete