Friday, January 09, 2015

Bump


I've been struck, I think, with Januaryitis. The weather has sometimes been beautiful, as above, but at the moment is wild and stormy, though not cold. But I seem to be a bit brain-dead. It's hard, when one is getting older and things are not quite as one would wish, to face up to a new year with brimming enthusiasm. On the other hand, it could be a whole lot worse. I do realise this.


The grandbabies have been unwell and Granddaughter especially so. I went round to see her today and she fell asleep on me. After half an hour, however, Grandson arrived back loudly from nursery and woke her up, which wasn't especially successful from her point of view. She cheered up, however, and started staggering about: her balance seems to be affected by her illness, so she kept falling over. And then, though I was sitting right beside her, I managed to let her fall against the door frame and she bashed her forehead badly. It came up in a huge blue lump and Son-in-Law 1 and I, who were together, got a real fright. However, after telephone advice from Doctor Son, we calmed down, and she seems to be all right; or at least not permanently damaged.

Grandson is spending the night with us here and is lying on his back, fast asleep with his arms spread out, looking very sweet. He did enjoy his bath, earnestly pouring water from a little jug into a funnel and thence into an empty shampoo bottle and noting how many jugfuls it took to fill the bottle. And then we read "Mr Bump", with whom he sympathised after the trauma of his sister's accident.

And now I must go and battle with my very difficult (to me) piano piece. I hope it's warding off dementia, if nothing else.

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about little G, but do look on the bright side of having them both so close.........had to say goodbye last week to mine.......I am sorry other stuff is not falling into place as you would wish. It's cold here, windy with quite a lot of snow but think you have more wind ....they closed the bridge, I saw.....what do people do...does the ferry still run ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, I can sympathise.....I remember when my boys each had to learn (painfully!) that they could no longer stand up under a table. Bumps and illnesses seem to be a large part of childhood, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:56 pm

    The poor mite, I imagine poor you as well. I hope the grandbabies recover very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear...don't beat yourself up about the bump incident....nearly 30 yrs ago my parents were looking after my son who jumped from a chair to the floor via a coffee table...they were mortified, he had a bump, he is ok and yet I think they still mither about it to this day. I think Januaryitis hits us all in one way or another....chin up.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my complete sympathy. I was briefly in charge last week and for no apparent reason grand daughter cried. I have never heard her cry before and naturally assumed it was something I had done wrong. Seems now that she is teething. Just a little earlier than I remembered and I didn't see all the other signs. I was completely undone and must toughen up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother told me," Babies don't break, and they are going to get lots of bumps. Kiss it (watch them for an hour) and move on!" My children found me very un-sympathetic. No Blood? I think you'll live. Blood?... that's not so much, you'll live. A kiss and a Band-aid (I think you have Elastoplast?) and they were good to go! They made it through childhood just fine. HOWEVER, I am about to become a Granny and I do believe the tables will turn. Any tiny injury while Grandchild is in my care will be cause of great concern. I think that is natural, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no -- poor little L -- I hope the bump won't last too long. Your evening with little N sounds wonderful -- they're so cute at that age. And I can totally sympathize with you about the lack of enthusiasm for the coming year -- I wish I could get my excitement levels up but it just doesn't seem to happen. On a more positive note, we at least have some beautiful new snow! ;-D

    ReplyDelete